Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hudson's Surgery

Two weeks ago Hudson had his follow up appointment with the ENT to see if the medicine was working. After another sad scope down his nose the Dr said there had not been any change. The ENT and our pediatrician both suggested we do the surgery. So Monday we took our baby to Primary Children's Hospital for his surgery. I had such a hard time handing him over to the anesthesiologist, but we knew the surgery wouldn't take that long. The worst part of the day was when they came and got me to go back to his recovery room. I walked in right as two nurses were holding him down while another suctioned out his mouth, he was screaming, although his voice was so hoarse from the surgery it didn't even sound like him. He was thrashing all over his little metal crib in his hospital gown and he had iv's on both feet. Tears immediately started spilling down my face, I didn't feel like I was prepared for this scenario. I almost ran to get Ryan instead because I didn't think I could handle it but one of the nurses told me he just needed his mom to him and that was all it took.
He was pretty out of it the rest of the day, most just whimpering. They had to give him some morphine later for the pain and that knocked him out pretty good. When he woke up later he was pretty happy and smiley.


He had to be on oxygen for a while but he made it through the night without it.
One question that I had for the nurse that she couldn't answer was why do babies get to wear pants and a top and adults have to wear those awful gowns? It seems like it should be the opposite.
Before
After

5 comments:

  1. Now if that isn't, like, the cutest baby ever....I can't even handle it. So glad he's all better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for this post to see how happy and well Hudson is! It is so nice to see him smiling. Sorry you had to go through some tough stuff. We are so glad that this is behind you, and that he is feeling and breathing so much better! Give him hugs from us.
    I agree with your hospital gown question! It is backwards!
    Love you,
    The Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. LET THE SCREAMING BEGIN!!!!

    So glad he is ok!

    ♥ Celina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad he is OK! What a strong Mama you are! Hudson has a great mom!

    ReplyDelete