Monday, August 15, 2011

My Poor Baby and Knees!

***warning long post.....lots of words**
So if any of you have met Hudson, you know he is an extremely loud and worrisome breather. Since he was about 2 months old he has had a hard time breathing. I noticed it especially at night and his labored breathing really made us nervous. You could tell he struggled and he would have episodes were he couldn't catch his breath and would panic until he could finally get a breath. Pediatrician #1 told us he had croup although he did not have a cough, he gave Hudson a steroid shot but it didn't help. Pediatrician #2 told us it was RSV or asthma, but the breathing treatment he got at the Dr didn't help, she ended up just telling us to come back if it got worse. Pediatrician #3 told us she thought he had some sort of growths in his trachea or on his vocal chords so we would have to go to Primary Children's to an ENT and get a scope, unfortunately they didn't have any openings for 3 weeks. Well today was the big day and we finally got some answers! He has severe laryngeal malaysia. Basically some cartillage collapses over the airway when he breathes in making it had for him to breath. He's on medicine now to see if it helps but if it doesn't get any better the Dr suggests having a procedure to take care of it. It was so hard to watch have a scope put down his nose but we are so happy to know what the problem is and that it can be fixed!
Now to my poor aching knees! Ryan and I ran our first post baby half marathon on Saturday! I decided when I was still pregnant that it was something I wanted to do. Obviously I had some weight I wanted to lose and this seemed the best way. When the Dr okay-ed me to start working out I started running very small amounts on the treadmill and worked my way up. After we got a jogging stroller I got more serious, it has been so fun to be able to take Hudson on runs with me everyday, he loves being outside and is such a good sport. The other thing I have found about training for this race is that I have a goal other than just simply losing weight, I have something more to focus on other than the number on a scale. I cared more about eating healthy and getting good sleep because I knew my body would not function like I wanted it to the next day on my run if I didn't. I didn't break any records and I didn't get an amazing time but I got to run on a very beautiful course (Provo River Trail past Bridal Veil Falls) with my husband and achieve a goal I had set for myself. I may no be the skinniest I've ever been, but I don't care because I feel strong and in shape, I can run 5-7 miles enjoyably but I know if I push myself I can go longer. I sometimes don't feel like I have many accomplishments but I proved to myself that I can do things I set my mind to. I hope this doesn't come across as bragging but sometimes we are so careful about not wanting to seem so into ourselves that we sell ourselves short a lot of the time. So I guess what I really wanted to say is....I'm proud of myself.

6 comments:

  1. i'm so proud of you! goodness knows i couldn't do that. also, your boy is so darling and i'm sure you're relieved as his mother to finally know how to help your baby. i love seeing your photos and reading your stories. hope life is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Hudson. That makes me so sad. I am glad they were able to figure it out though and hopefully the med's will make it all better. I have been thinking of you guys all morning.
    Hope your knee's are feeling better. I think that's so awesome you ran and you just have me my motivation to do my nerdy little 5k. gotta start somewhere right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I think you look the BEST you ever have! And you always look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed that you did the marathon!
    I hope the medication works for Hudson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud of you too! The pictures are adorable of you and Hudson. I'm glad he is doing better, or at least on the right tract to doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SAD Its more than just a quiet cry. POOR little guy.....


    I AM PROUD of you too! That is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete